Losing a tooth, either through decay or injury, can be a huge blow to your confidence, especially if a gaping hole is left in your smile which you immediately feel draws attention to you for all the wrong reasons. Many people have real pride in their smile, regarding it as one of their greatest assets and essential to a beautiful image.
Equally, a missing molar can affect the way in which you eat and the gap may be visible when you talk or smile. Either way, many patients dread the thought of losing teeth but the good news is that dental implants offer a practical and long-term solution to the problem.
What Are Dental Implants?
Implants are small screws, usually made of titanium, that are fixed into the jaw so that dentures or crowns can be fixed securely instead of using other forms of replacement teeth, such as bridges and denture plates which are less practical and more invasive. Bridges don’t stop the gum-line from shrinking after a tooth is extracted and rely on the strength of the neighbouring tooth to attach to while denture plates can be uncomfortable and must be removed at night.
Implants, however, are a more permanent solution to the problem of missing teeth and do not compromise your remaining teeth, meaning you’re more likely to be able to retain them in the long term. Because they are effectively replacement roots and are anchored to the jawbone, they offer a secure foundation for dentures that are constructed to match your existing teeth so that they look absolutely natural.
What Are The Benefits Of Dental Implants?
Although implants are only one way of restoring your smile, they offer many benefits:
Are Implants Successful?
- After teeth are lost, the jawbone shrinks leading to changes in your facial structure that can make you look older. Implants prevent this by restoring the bone and helping to maintain your natural look.
- Implants are low maintenance and extremely durable. All you need to do is to care for them as your dentist advises and you’ll enjoy your perfect smile for years, if not for a lifetime.
- Because they are like normal teeth, dentures that are supported by implants feel very comfortable, meaning you can talk and eat without pain but with confidence.
- Only local anaesthetic is used during the procedure to receive implants; many patients say that there is little pain and you will be able to resume your daily life immediately.
- Implants offer total convenience as they are fixed permanently and don’t need to be removed at night or cleaned in a special way other than thorough brushing. They also don’t require special adhesives to keep them from slipping out of place.
Implants have a very high success rate and are becoming the first choice for many patients and their dentists. With implants you can be confident of regaining your smile and your self-esteem.